Dear Parents and Carers,
On Monday 17th May, children from Y1-Y6 will be taking part in a whole class environmental challenge to earn a Green Blue Peter Badge for everyone who takes part. The initiative was chosen by a group Y5 and Y4 children who have recently come together to form an Eco Action Team.
Each child is required to make 3 easy-to-adopt pledges. These can be carried out at home by your child over a 2-week period and fall under the categories of Power, Plastic and Plants.
- Turn off an electrical device when using it rather than leaving it on standby (e.g. games console, tablet, computer or television)
- Switch 30 minutes of screen time for 30 minutes of outdoor time
- Switch from plastic food wrap to a lunchbox or reusable sandwich wrap
- Sort the rubbish recycling at home carefully
- Plant pollinator friendly plants and look after them (planting marigolds, chives, or sunflower seeds can help butterflies and bees to thrive)
- Save water by turning off the taps when you brush your teeth (using less water gives plants and trees more to drink)
If your child is in Y1-Y6 they will also be taking part in a Supersized Climate Hero Pledge during school time with their class teacher.
If successful, your child will receive a Green Blue Peter Badge and gain free access to over 200 attractions in the UK.
We also hope to raise awareness of the current climate crisis through instilling positive lifelong habits and sparking thought-provoking conversations.
We would love you to keep us updated with your child’s progress through any photographs, posters or pictures of your child carrying out their ‘3 Pledges’. Your child may bring these into school or they can be emailed to the year group email address.
Have a lovely weekend.
Mrs A Whistler
Dates for your diary:
|Monday 17th May 2021|
– ‘Blue Peter Climate Hero’ challenges begin at school
|Monday 24th May – Friday 28th May 2021 |
– Chris Connaughton in school all week delivering drama and story telling sessions to all year groups
|Friday 28th May 2021 |
– To mark the end of our Royal Mail ‘Stamps for Heroes’ art competition, we would like to invite the children to come to school dressed as a hero of their choice
|Monday 31st May – 4th June 2021 (inclusive) |
– Half term
|Wednesday 7th July 2021 – Friday 9th July 2021 |
– Year 5 residential to Dukeshouse Wood