Primary School Admissions Policy
The current published admission number (PAN) for Kells Lane Primary School is 60 pupils for each year group from Reception to Year 6.
Gateshead Council admissions policy is as follows:
Your child will start school at the beginning of the academic year in which they will reach the age of five. (An academic year lasts from 1 September in one year to 31 August in the following year). However in many schools the first year will include an induction period, (a period for your child to get used to school life). This period may last from September until no later than the end of the October half term holiday. Parents who wish to defer their child’s entry beyond this period must make this request in writing at the time of application for admission to school. Deferred entry must not extend beyond the beginning of the term after the child’s 5th birthday, or beyond the academic year for which the application was accepted. Deferred entry will be considered by us the local authority (LA) in consultation with the Head Teacher and governors of the school.
We will accept pupils up to the school’s agreed Planned Admission Number for the year group unless we feel there are lawful grounds not to do so.
Oversubscription Criteria – We will consider applications from parents who have named the school as any ranked preference on their application form – this is called the Equal preference system. If there are more applications for the number of places available at the school we will than allocate places by using the following order of priority:
- Children in Public Care (and as deemed under Section 22 of the Children Act 1989) including a child who was previously “looked after” but immediately after being “looked after” became subject to an adoption, residence, or special guardianship order (see definition*).
- Children who live in the school’s catchment area and who will have a brother or sister at the school, or at the feeder junior school during the coming academic year. (see definition*)
- Other children who live in the school’s catchment area.
- Other children who will have a brother or sister at the school or at the feeder junior school during the coming academic year.
- Other children who have exceptional medical or social grounds see point 1 below
- All other children.
(*see definitions of our criteria in priority 1, 2 and 4 above in our parent’s information booklet and at www.gateshead.gov.uk)