We are passionate about reading at Kells Lane Primary School. We want every child to enjoy reading, to consider themselves a reader and to imagine themselves as authors of the future. In order to explain to children what makes a good reader, we use the six Ps (see below). CLICK HERE to find out how to support your child with reading
At Kells Lane Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. RWI is a method of learning focused on letter sounds and phonics and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
If you would like to see more about the sound charts we use, click on the links below.